The short version
- The McMinnville United Methodist Church was founded in about 1854 by early settlers on the area.
- In about 1869 or 1870 the Methodists had gained enough in numbers to build their own structure on the block that we still occupy at Second and Evans Streets.
- The congregation continued to grow and over the years the buildings were replaced until the current church on the corner of Second and Ford was completed in 1941.
- In fall of 1998, a ministry plan identified serving the whole community as a major emphasis.
- As a result, the congregation decided to remain downtown and construct another multipurpose building instead of moving out to its Parkview property.
- In 2001 Trinity Lutheran Church sold the suburban church building it had occupied since the late 1950’s because their congregation had outgrown it.
- The congregation had an option on property on the edge of town and planned to build a new facility there.
- Over the next five years that piece of property and six others failed to work out as a new home for the congregation.
Formation of the Cooperative:
- Both churches participated in a spring break trip called Mexico Mission.
- In 2004, the question was asked whether there were other things we could do better together than we could do apart.
- In summer 2005, we began sharing worship.
- In 2006, after a long process, both congregations voted to become McMinnville Cooperative Ministries.
- In 2008, we took a final step into a fully cooperative relationship by voting to share ownership of the downtown property.
- In 2009, we adopted a welcoming statement that specifically includes all GLBT persons; Trinity Lutheran Church also voted unanimously to become a Reconciling in Christ (RIC) congregation.
The long version
A ministry of the McMinnville United Methodist Church
and Trinity Lutheran Church in McMinnville, Oregon.